In honor of the Eating Disorders Awareness Week (Feb 1 -7), I wanted to share with you my message and story of recovery from ” disordered eating”, in hopes of inspiring you to deepen your own sense of health, wellness, balance, and self-love.
The 5 Realms of Holistic Body Love
Holistic Body Love to me, is about being in a healthy relationship with yourself in five important realms of life: mentally, emotionally, physically, spiritually & socially.
Let’s define these five areas:
- Mental: This is our self-talk, what it is we say to ourselves about ourselves. Ideally, we want to be engaging in positive self-talk significantly more than negative self-talk.
- Emotional: This is the way we feel about ourselves, and the ability to regulate one’s own emotions well. The way we think about ourselves leads to how we feel about ourselves.
- Physical: This involves our physical body, not in appearance, but rather with the health condition of our body. For example, a strong immune system, organs that function well, a body that’s well nourished with nutrients, a body that has abundant energy to thrive.
- Spiritual: This area can have multiple meanings. For some, it would be one’s own ability to tune into their intuitive wisdom. For others, it may be their connection with a Higher Power. Essentially, it is the ability to see the bigger picture and connect with sacred aspects of life, so that life has fulfillment through deeper meaning and purpose.
- Social: We are social creatures at the very core of us, meaning we all need a connection with people to heal. We are influenced every day by relationships and dynamics in our home, work, school, and life environments.
I see that having a balance in these five realms can help us feel more present, grounded, and empowered in who we are as an individual, and in the various roles we take on. Continue reading
I am a beautiful girl and I am precious. Image by stockimages
I was fifteen years old when it happened and had no idea what was wrong with me. I had just woken up and went to the restroom and not to a surprise, noticed my body had began “beautifying” is what I call it when I begin my menstrual cycle. In that moment I had decided to just jump in the shower and start off my day. I remember it vividly; coming out the shower, wrapping the towel around me and walking back to my room. I was standing in front of my mirror when in a second my vision began to turn black starting with my peripheral then everything turned black. I got so scared knowing I couldn’t see anything with my eyes open that I closed them, held on to the mirror and took a seat on the floor. I was alone at home and all I could say out loud was, “Oh my god, I going blind, I’m going blind, help me god, help me god!.” For the longest 30 seconds of my life I didn’t understand what was happening to my body but I already began feeling cramps in my abdomen prior to losing my sight. I gained my vision back after taking a few deep breaths while on the floor and once I did, I quickly stood up got dressed and laid down on my bed. My parents came home shortly after that and by that point I was curled up in a ball, crying my eyes out holding my stomach. At that time I wasn’t sexually active and led what I believed to be a healthy life style. I was an athlete in school and a busy body even at home. Continue reading
Do you ever wonder, What’s the deal with going Gluten Free? In this video, Dr. Hilary Booth, Naturopathic Doctor, clears up the misconceptions about gluten by answering the what, where, when, why, who and how of going gluten free.
Dr. Hilary Booth, ND is a licensed and registered Naturopathic Doctor
Dr. Hilary Booth, ND is a licensed and registered Naturopathic Doctor who graduated withan Honours Bachelor of Naturopathy from the Canadian
College of Naturopathic Medicine. Dr. Booth was the recipient of the Gold Medallion award from the University of Western Ontario for the highest academic achievement in her field, an Honours Specialization in Physiology. Dr. Booth is a member in good standing with the BDDT-N, the CAND, and the OAND.
Dr. Booth specializes in women’s health, fertility, and pregnancy care. She has additional certifications as a Naturopathic Doula, and in Facial Rejuvenation Acupuncture. Dr. Booth uses leading-edge evidence-based treatments to provide personalized, compassionate care for her patients at the Dr. Shawna Darou and Associates clinic in Toronto, Canada.
We work with reputable affiliates to give you tools to achieve your goals. This post includes such links. Full disclosure here
Health Benefits of Smoking photo by Mister GC
Smoking has been getting a bad rap for decades now and for good reason. Smoking is the “Lucifer” of health-hazardous habits. Or is it? I mean have you tried researching the issue yourself? What about the health benefits of smoking that no one is mentioning?
Let’s check out some of the many healthy returns of smoking: Continue reading