What it is CFS ?
Chronic fatigue syndrome, or CFS, is a debilitating and complex disorder characterized by profound fatigue that is not improved by bed rest and that may be worsened by physical or mental activity. Symptoms affect several body systems and may include weakness, muscle pain, impaired memory and/or mental concentration, and insomnia, which can result in reduced participation in daily activities. – Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is a complex illness involving debilitating fatigue along with other symptoms. The fatigue is severe enough to interfere with daily activities and is not relieved by bed rest. Although a standard treatment for CFS has yet to be developed,
many people improve through individualized exercise and stress management programs. – WebMD (UPDATE: It is generally accepted that exercise actually does more harm than good to ME patients).
Diagnosing chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is a challange for doctors for a number of reasons:
- Lack of a lab test or biomarker for CFS.
- Fatigue and other symptoms of CFS are common to many illnesses.
- Many times with CFS patients, it may not be obvious to doctors that they are ill.
- The illness has a pattern of remission and relapse.
- Symptoms vary from person to person in type, number, and severity.
These factors have contributed to a low diagnosis rate. Of the one to four million Americans who have CFS, less than 20% have been diagnosed.
Symptoms of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Persistent physical and mental fatigue (exhaustion)
- Inability to do any activities by oneself or can only carry out simple daily tasks, such as brushing their teeth
- Muscular pain, joint pain and severe headaches
- Poor short-term memory and concentration
- Difficulty organizing thoughts and finding the right words
- Painful lymph nodes (small glands of the immune system)
- Stomach pain and other problems similar to irritable bowel
- Sore throat
- Sleeping disorders
- Sensitivity or intolerance to light, loud noise, alcohol and certain foods
- Psychological disorders
Why We Care About CFS
This blog is about your body, energy and mind. We want to help people live their lives to the fullest; having a healthy body and mind is paramount to be able to do so. If you cannot generate enough energy to do the basic things in life like thinking straight and making a healthy meal for yourself it becomes nearly impossible to achieve your full potential. Energy is what blends everything together.
What If You Have CFS
Support CFS Research
Solve ME/CFS Initiative (SMCI)– founded in 1987 – has established itself as the leading charitable organization dedicated to myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME)/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) which is commonly known as chronic fatigue and immune dysfunction syndrome (CFIDS).
“Our mission is to make ME/CFS widely understood, diagnosable, and treatable. We will do this by stimulating participatory, patient centered research aimed at the early detection, objective diagnosis and effective treatment of ME/CFS through expanded public, private and commercial investment.”
Read more about The Solve ME/CFS Initiative (SMCI)