As soon as I said “Mixed Martial Arts” you raised your eyebrows. You probably started imagining yourself in the cage all bloodied up and asking yourself: “how on earth is this beneficial to my health?”
Well I am talking about the non-competitor Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) that anybody can do. You can either choose to join your local MMA club or if you have a training partner you may also train together at home. There are thousands of great videos on YouTube for techniques, drills, and other aspects of MMA.
MMA workout stimulates the full body using every energy system in your body to a degree matched by few other sports in the world. MMA’s speed, power, and strength components captivate your body’s anaerobic energy system as well as its aerobic energy system on multiple levels.
You will be able to simultaneously improve musculature as well as cardiovascular endurance at one go. It goes without saying that MMA training will enable you to burn more calories than traditional aerobic training methods. Traditional aerobic training targets only a few, or even a single, muscle system and does not engage your body’s anaerobic system to any degree.
There is never a dull moment in MMA. One day you are rolling around on the mat wrestling and doing Jiujutsu, the next day you are doing CrossFit, weight training, boxing, and so on. The list is endless. This keeps it fresh and exciting. On top of all that, you will be one tough son of a gun that no one wants to mess with. Now compare that to jogging or repetitive fitness workouts and the first word that comes to mind is “boring” right?
Gain Total Body Strength
- The diverse array of styles associated with MMA will target all major muscles.
- A selection of motions associated with numerous techniques will strengthen body parts you never knew existed.
- Enhanced core strength can guard against many degenerative conditions like osteoporosis or weakness connected with aging.
Improve Endurance Levels
- Enhancing your endurance will allow your heart, lungs, and other bodily systems to perform at far more superior levels.
- Technique drills associated with MMA will increase your agility.
- MMA is a stress-killer. Not only does the rigorous exercise kill off stress, a few minutes punching, kicking, and wrestling (while pretending you are beating up your boss, landlord, or in-laws) is perfect for eliminating stress.
Gain Superior Balance
Improved Strength + Improved Endurance = Superior Balance & Flexibility
Due to stronger core muscles you will be able to maintain your center better which is vital for everything we do in life.
I recommend MMA for anyone seeking an alternative challenging form of exercise. Drive to your local MMA gym today and take a free lesson. Don’t worry about the 300 pound gorilla-looking guy with the scar running down his face, mixed martial arts practitioners are some of the kindest people you will meet and most are always ready to assist a newbie at the gym.