Experiencing sagging skin and deeper lines and wrinkles? Your skin is likely beginning to age. We all will inevitably see our skin mature at some point in time, but that doesn’t mean it has to be right now. Everyone also experiences aging in their own way, but even if you don’t have creases and lines, now is a good time to prevent them before they start.
Aging is the process of growing old. It shows up mentally and physically. Not everyone ages exactly the same. Even in old age, many people are still able to retain their youthful vigor. Signs of aging in the skin can lead to dullness and a more sallow tones, however, thanks to advancements in modern skincare, many telltale signs associated with aging skin can turn back the clock. Even if you haven’t experienced any signs right now, prevention is always the best medicine.
Though aging is inevitable, there are many factors in the environment that can cause our skin to accelerate the process. If you’d like to take preventative measures and retain your youthful skin for as long as possible, then read on for more helpful tips on how to slow down the aging process.
What Causes Aging?
Many influences cause our skin to age. Some are natural, some environmental and some are caused by habits. Our skin is very susceptible to what we put in and on our bodies, which means that we have the power to make the aging process go faster if we allow it.
The natural aging process however, is unstoppable. We will all age eventually. However, aging can also be fun, if you believe in the adage of aging gracefully. At any rate, it’s important to know the signs of aging, if you notice any changes within the skin. If you have habits that are inadvertently causing you to look older, here are the signals:
- Hyper-pigmentation – Also known as dark spots, caused by sun damage, years of smoking or injuries.
- Lines and Wrinkles – Caused by sagging skin, often due to sun damage.
- Dryness – Flaky, arid skin that can make wrinkles worse.
- Dull Complexion – Dryness can make lackluster skin worse. Tight, flaky skin can also cause lack of color.
- Sagging – Skin loses elasticity over time, which creates lose skin.
Ways to Prevent Aging Skin
There are several simple ways to slow down the process of aging skin. The #1 cause of premature aging is caused by sun damage, so knowing how to protect it will have to retain the skin’s youthful glow.
The best skin care regimen for aging involves forming habits that will keep the skin soft and smooth. Other factors, whether they be self-inflicted or natural can speed up aging, so here are some of the best ways to keep your skin youthful:
- Sun Protection – Since UVA/UVB rays, given by the sun is the primary factor in aging skin, wearing sunscreen of at least 30 will help stave off pesky wrinkling and age spots. A water resistant, broad-spectrum sunscreen is best to prevent burning and aging skin.
- Stop Smoking – A single cigarette has up to 4,000 chemicals, all which are carcinogenic and can do irreversible damage to the body. Smoking also contributes to dull skin and hair.
- Eat Healthy – You are what you eat, so make it healthy and colorful. Our body thrives on nutrition given from healthy fruits, vegetables, nuts and proteins, including healthy fish, so load up on nutrients that will give you a vibrant glow.
- Drink Water – Water is the element of life, which will also bring life to your skin and hair, by increasing suppleness, detoxifying the body and ridding the skin of dirt and debris. Water also contributes to keeping hair shiny and bouncy, while adding suppleness.
- Avoid Alcohol – Alcohol can dehydrate the skin, contributing to wrinkles and lines. If you do drink some alcohol, make sure to follow up with a glass of water to replenish hydration.
- Exercise – Moving is very important, to increase circulation, which will keep the skin healthy and alive.
- Use a Moisturizer – Keep the skin moisturized with a quality lotion that will help the skin retain water.
- Avoid Abrasive Products – Using products that rub, stretch and scratch the skin can create an aged look. Instead gently cleanse the skin with products fit for your skin type.
- Avoid Stress – Stress is inevitable, but can increase aging by tweaking our DNA. It’s important to take time to avoid daily stressors in you life whenever possible. Take time for self care and unwinding.
To slow down the aging process, you’ve got to treat your body right. These useful, easy-to-follow tips will help you look youthful for as long as possible.